You figure. Coz I certainly cant.

Me. Me. Me. Me. And a little about what i see, what i hear, where i go, what i taste and what i feel.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Varun Gandhi and Voting (Or is it Convenience?)

I don’t know what Varun Gandhi said, I don’t know where he said that, and I don’t intend to find out. And that is surprising, considering the fact that not too long ago, I knew eggjackly what who said, when and where (and I can prove that by showing you the score that I used to get in the ‘saprasang vyakhya karo: kisne kisse kab kaha’ section of the Hindi Language exam paper from class 5 through class 10. Not that I stopped listening after that, just that they stopped asking after then). And so, I am surprised how many articles show up in my news alerts talking about his speech. My surprise is also attributable to the fact that only today I read an article that says that the voter registration is lowest in the 18-24 age group. Yet, somehow, it is the same age group that contributes to most of the blogs out there. So, are we talkers and not doers?
Clarification: even though I am not registered for voting, I have also not written anything about Varun Gandhi, so the comments here will not be applicable to me. Any suggestions to the same will be VERY severly dealt with. I may even write a piece about how you pick your nose when nobody is looking. So be warned.
So, as I was saying, are we only talkers and not doers? Would seem so, would it not? Or, hidden in the newly developing psyche of the New Indian (or is it the Old Indian in a New dress?) who is discovering himself all over again (after the self discovery that the New Indians did in the 1940s, 1960s and the 2000s, not counting the Discovery of India that the Jawahar Lal Nehru look alike used to do on DD1), doing things that he had never dreamt of before (okay, okay, so I didn’t know that you dreamt about that too, but I am not going to take back my statement), seeing things that he never saw before(and no, I do not only mean the ample cleavage on show these days. I mean, not only that), is another aspect that is hidden in him which will be visible in this preliminary analysis (okay, I know that there are no scientific evidence or methods on display here, but I have the poetic license, you know, so get off my back!!).
I believe there is. It’s the aspect called convenience. I may be wrong, but I firmly believe that the differentiating aspect between the voter registrations and the blogs is convenience. Allow me to explain.
Consider the typical New Indian (not me! I have told you already, get off my back. So what if I am a lazybone. I am writing this piece, and I have the license! So read on, and assume another New Indian). He has wasted the day pretending to be doing some work that may justify the huge pay pack that he receives (convincing everyone except himself in the process) and has reached home, and suddenly realizes that he has nothing to do till he goes to sleep (Reiteration: No, not me. I have loads to do. Every Thursdays, I give Shahid some tips on dancing. Wednesdays are for writing tips to Arundhati, Tuesdays are for Management tips to Credit Suesse, Mondays for driving tips to Karthikayen’s boys, Fridays for collecting material to write in The Times of India food guide. I keep the weekends free. Again, get off my case!). So, about the New Indian. He switches on the TV and sees the buzz about the Elections and in due time the news about Varun Gandhi’s speech also comes along. So he thinks “well, I haven’t registered for voting. I should.” So he brings out the joint winner for the Innovation of the Year award, the tool that has contributed the most in the Discovery of the New Indian - The laptop with Internet connectivity (okay, okay, maybe that device did not even qualify for that award, maybe that award went to that other music device that is so commonly connected to people’s ears, which does for much more that many others could do for much less, that is called the eye plod or whatever, but then again, I have the license, you know, and where, in all my musings, have I said that the words written here represent facts or truths?). So, he sits in his comfortable chair, or maybe a bean bag, pulls up his laptop and searches JaagoRe, the ads for which he has seen in the Telly. Now, he reads, is interested and goes on filling details till he comes to the part where he has to go to the Election Officer to submit the hard copy of the form. Ahem. “What was it that Varun Gandhi said”, he thinks. Ah! This! This is bad! We are good Indians. We don’t care about Hindu – Muslim animosity (of course, he does not think this aloud, because the next sentence, “We care only about the money. And of course, the cleavage on show”, would not go down too well with the fellow New Indians around him, no matter that, considering their orientation, these New Indians would themselves be looking out for either John Abraham’s or Katrina Kaif’s cleavage), we should do something about it. So, what should we do? Well, I have my laptop, I can type, and there are so many websites that put up my crap without charging for it, and, better still, there are others who also read it! Yes, I should blog. So they do.
Well, there, with introspection and considerable assumptions, we have reached a conclusion, even if the conclusion that you may have reached may not be the same as the one that I have reached. But we have reached, and there rests the matter.
More crap some other day.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home